Massage therapy is therapeutic in many ways. Massage increases blood and lymph flow which aids in healing and decreases the stress hormone called cortisol. In most circumstances massage can help to improve your health. However,there are times that massage is not recommended. Below is a list of reasons massage may be contraindicated. If anything on this list pertains to you, please talk to your massage therapist before booking a massage.
- Contagious illness or disease (including a cold or flu)
- If you are taking any pain medication
- Recent operations or acute injuries
- Skin diseases
- First trimester of pregnancy
Only when cleared by your physician:
- High blood pressure or cardio-vascular conditions
- Bell’s palsy
For more questions on anything on or not on this list, please contact our office and we will be happy to assist if scheduling a massage is appropriate for you.